The wireless connection went all wonky after I fixed a ton of errors on the boot disk with the Disk Utility application on the OS 10.5 disk.
I could not connect to the router. Tried all sorts of things with no success. The Airport Extreme card kept self-assigning an IP address and wouldn't play nice with the router.
Then I found a message on the machintsosx message boards, referencing a document on Apple.com.
I read the document, and thought that there's NO WAY this will fix things.
"Change from WEP security to WPA security." is what was suggested.
"What the hell, lets try it", I thought.
So, right now, the wireless connection is working flawlessly... right now.
I think that tomorrow I might hit MicroCenter in Cambridge and see if the Ethernet card I want is in stock. I prefer an Internet connection I can trust to stay connected.
(edit) Well, the wireless connection has stayed up and running since this post went live.
Looks like the fix works.