REALLY support the troops.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

The battle has been joined!

Right. Thursday, I get a jury service summons in the mail! Which is odd, because I'd done my service in November of last year, and in Massachusetts, once you've fulfilled your obligation, you're exempt from service for three years.

So, somewhere in the apartment is the certificate of service that was mailed to me by the Jury Commission, stating that I am exempt from service until at least November 18th, 2009.

But WHERE is it?

After MUCH poking about, and not a little cursing, stewing and muttering, I finally found it!

FREE AT LAST!

I filled out the little postcard that is part of the summons, checked off the correct box in the "I'm Disqualified Because..." section, and filled in all the needed details.

Mailed it off Saturday.

For all the good it will do. The Central Bureaucracy has me down for jury duty this coming November.

I fully expect that I'll have to actually go to the Jury Commission offices, with the original certificate (which will NEVER LEAVE MY POSESSION!) and a sheaf of photocopies of the certificate to hand out as need be, and spend an inordinate amount of time there, explaining that yes, I did my service last year, and that I am not required to do jury service again until almost 2010.

Or, a miracle COULD happen and I'll get a letter stating that, yes, I was summonsed in error and that yes, I am exempt until sometime in November of 2009.

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

No comments: